Faculty/Staff Technology Quick Links
IT Service Desk: 252-328-9866 | 800-340-7081
Walk-in IT Help: Four Pirate Techs locations to serve you | Locations and hours
Classroom Technology Assistance: One stop for classroom resources
Logins: System and tool logins in one convenient location
Accounts and Access
Microsoft 365 account. Includes ECU email, five Office suite downloads, OneDrive cloud storage, the Teams collaboration tool and other productivity apps. Microsoft 365 login: pirate365.ecu.edu
Two-Factor Account Authentication. The identity verification process for ECU resources and platforms. You are prompted to set this up the first time you log in to your ECU email.
Note! Your ECU ID is a numerical identifier different from your PirateID. The ECU ID identifies you in HR systems and begins with a “B.” Find your ECU ID number in PiratePort.
*Beginning March 4, 2024, ECU is switching the PirateID password management to a new self-service password reset (SSPR) service called PirateID Self Service. You must enroll! Visit this technology news post for details. Note: If you use an ECU-managed Mac (faculty/staff), continue to change your password through the computer “locally.”
Network and Wireless
Onboard your personal laptop or other device to ECU’s primary campus network, eduroam (ECU-managed systems are already set up with eduroam). See the Network and Wireless IT knowledge base for your device instructions.
Teleworking? See these tips for working with your home network.
Communication, Conferencing and Collaboration
ECU email is managed through your Microsoft 365 account (web mail) and the Outlook desktop app. Learn more about your email account through this Email Features Overview. Two-factor authentication is set up the first time you log in to email. Email login: mymail.ecu.edu.
Cisco Webex conferencing. These Webex tutorials help you get started. Need help? Submit the Webex Conferencing Support request. Also see the conferencing tools page to choose the best conferencing option for Canvas integration, training, live streaming and more.
Microsoft Teams. The Teams app provides a chat-centered work space to bring project teams, project files and collaborative tools into a single interface for instant and organized access. See this Teams Overview. Download the desktop app through Microsoft and the mobile version from your app store.
Voice services and campus telephones. Visit the IT knowledge base for instructions on using your office telephone and voicemail. Teleworkers can add their office telephone number to the Cisco Webex Meetings app.
Software & Storage
Software and Apps
- See the software page for the list of supported software with links to request forms and resources.
- Microsoft Office download. Download Microsoft Office suite to five computers through pirate365.ecu.edu.
- ECU Mobile App. Stay connected to ECU from on or off campus using the free ECU mobile app. Download through mobile app store.Free; some areas require login.
- Statistical software. Mathematica, SAS, SPSS and more available to faculty, staff and students. Two survey tools include Qualtrics and REDCap. See the statistical software IT Knowledge Base category for specifics.
ECU offers two storage options:
- OneDrive Cloud Storage (recommended). 5TB capacity and the only approved cloud storage solution for ECU. Sync files with your computer or save hard drive space and keep all work in OneDrive (Files on Demand). Create and edit Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote documents within OneDrive using the web apps. OneDrive is approved for all file types, including sensitive information like HIPAA and FERPA (don’t sync sensitive files!). Recommended for individual user work files (5TB), departments and groups (1TB). See the OneDrive service page for more details.
- Piratedrive. Network-attached storage (NAS). No sync or automatic backup option. Approved for all file types, including sensitive information. Recommended for research groups and department shared files. Mapped as the “U” drive on your computer when on campus.
Visit the storage knowledge base for details on each option and step-by-step instructions for setup. To help determine the best data management plan for you, see the Create a Data Management Plan article.
Teaching and Learning
Canvas Learning Management System. Canvas is ECU’s learning management system. Visit the Canvas & Integrated Tools category for a list of Canvas-integrated services.
Teaching tools for collaboration, projects, test security, lecture capture and more.
Security Guidelines and IT Policies
See the Security Awareness page for video links, tips and other resources to keep your data and account private and secure.
Do not print or store sensitive data on your personal or ECU computer! See this list of appropriate storage and transmission resources for sensitive data from the ECU Data Governance committee.
User Security. These IT knowledge base user security articles include IT security best practices, phishing scams and video tutorials.
Report a security concern. It is important that every ECU user report any security concerns, whether benign, accidental or malicious.
University IT policies. The IT section of the University Policy Manual includes the Academic Computer Use and University Student and Employee Computer Use Regulation.