Wired Network Security Updates Continue
Here's what you need to know
ITCS is continuing the Wired Network Access Control project for ECU’s wired network.
In a nutshell, administrators are configuring state-of-the-art security protections for ECU’s wired network throughout all buildings. All these elements work together to protect ECU data against malware and other malicious traffic.
Main Campus – May to December 2023
- Identity verification – Users must authenticate when joining the wired network.
- Device compliance – User devices must be compliant with security policies.
- See the WNAC building schedule to determine your office’s “go live” date.
Main Campus and Health Sciences Campus – July 2023 to March 2024
- Sharing and Collaboration – Includes network segmentation and sharing restrictions.
- See the implementation schedule to determine your office’s “go live” date.
How this affects you:
- User authentication and device compliance. Policies to enforce user authentication and device compliance for main campus buildings began in May and will complete December 2023. Once a building’s network equipment is updated, all users, including guests, authenticate (verify identity) when connecting to the ECU wired network. Device compliance will also be required.
- Sharing and collaboration controls. Department equipment like servers and network-attached storage (NAS) will be assigned an individual network segment isolated from other segments, reducing risk in the event of a security breach. Access policies will make shared network resources like printers accessible to users, with computer-to-computer sharing prohibited. See this IT Knowledge Base article to learn more.
What Do You Need to Do?
First, check the IT Knowledge Base articles and building schedules to determine your area’s “go live” dates.
If you manage servers, network-attached storage (NAS), Internet of Things (IoT) devices and other similar equipment, please submit the ECU Wired Network support request to ensure these items are added to your department’s network segment.
If you have questions or experience issues after the transition, please call the Pirate Techs Service Desk at 252-328-9866.
Post expires at 2:51pm on Tuesday March 19th, 2024