The Announce listserv is for ECU business only and is operated under the authority of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration. It allows faculty and staff to send an email message to any ECU user subscribed to the list. Topics include ECU-related news, maintenance, deadlines, campus events, facilities, opportunities and other ECU information.
To receive Announce messages, users subscribe using their ECU email account. The list is not moderated, so messages are distributed immediately. Each message should follow the Announce Guidelines.
- Do not post the same message more than once.
- Check a message for accuracy before sending.
- Do not post personal messages or questions to the list.
- Always include a subject with the message.
Announce is for ECU business only. University policy prohibits personal “door-to-door” solicitation by all users, including faculty, staff, ECU clubs and ECU organizations. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Canvassing – to solicit orders, political support or to determine opinions or sentiments
- Peddling – to sell or offer for sale
- Soliciting – to approach with a request or plea
As a reminder, the State Employees Combined Campaign (SECC) is the only officially authorized event for canvassing and promoting voluntary donations from ECU employees to external organizations. This campaign is conducted annually in the fall. However, Announce can be used from time to time to draw attention to officially sanctioned events and activities provided they originate from and/or significantly benefit an ECU unit, activity, or official organization. The rule of thumb is that 50% or more of the proceeds of any event publicized should go toward the ECU-related organization/club/activity or the service activity/cause should be a primary outreach for an ECU unit/club/activity. In addition, the guideline for only a single posting also applies. Users should refrain from posting or reposting fund raising and charity event notices from external sources (churches, businesses, etc.) that are not directly related to ECU.
Solicitation and Guideline Violations
Users failing to adhere to the basic guidelines may:
Receive a guideline reminder message,
Receive a guideline reminder message with a copy sent to supervisor,
Be blocked from using Announce
Questions and concerns may be directed to the Enterprise Risk Management Office in the Division of Administration and Finance.
- Address an email to email@example.com
- Do not include a subject or signature file
- Type the message SUBSCRIBE announce Firstname Lastname
- Replace Firstname and Lastname with your name
- Send the email