Qualtrics is a browser-based survey software licensed by ECU. Qualtrics offers many advanced, but user-friendly features such as:
- Easy survey design with question libraries, point-and-click editing, automatic choices and question randomization.
- Comprehensive list of question types including pick, group & rank, drill down, rank order, heat map and hot spots.
- Distribution & Panel Management
Account Requests and Support
- Only official faculty and staff and currently enrolled students are allowed access to Qualtrics.
- Your ECU account at Qualtrics will no longer be accessible when your ECU PirateID account is no longer accessible.
- Everyone: Your surveys will be removed when you leave. If you are collaborating with anyone who needs access to your surveys once you leave, ask for ownership of the survey to be transferred or ask for group ownership to be established.
- Faculty or staff, if you have a student worker creating or maintaining surveys for you, ensure you are the owner of the surveys and the student worker is a collaborator on the survey.
- Prior to conducting any new research, all survey distribution is subject to the University & Medical Center Institutional Review Board. You need to ensure you have met UMCIRB criteria before conducting any research.
- From the IPAR website: “Any person proposing to administer a survey to more than 200 ECU students, faculty, staff or alumni on University property and/or using University resources must obtain prior approval from the Survey Review and Oversight Committee. You should submit a request using our online request portal.”
- Monitor your content.
- Educate users to whom you give collaborate permission.
- Adhere to university policies and guidelines.
The Institutional Survey Administration REG01.30.01 (informally the Survey Regulation) regulates the administration of surveys at East Carolina University.
The Survey Review and Oversight Committee reviews and approves surveys administered to faculty, students, staff or alumni on University property and/or using University resources.
Qualtrics is NOT APPROVED for the collection or storage of institutional (HR & Financial), FERPA, HIPAA, or sensitive data. DO NOT COLLECT institutional, FERPA, HIPAA, or sensitive data using Qualtrics.
East Carolina University requires that all data collected or stored in Qualtrics meet federal, state or industry requirements. As a research best practice, all sensitive or confidential research data should be de-identified prior to collection or use. Please follow IRB research guidelines and contact the ITCS Help Desk at 252.328.9866/800.340.7081 to request an IT Security consultation if you have questions concerning appropriate protocols for the collection and storage of sensitive or confidential data.
In addition to the above regulations, YOU AGREE NOT TO USE DATA that includes, but is not limited to, the information below:
- Social Security Numbers (SSN)
- Credit card numbers
- Debit card numbers
- Driver’s license numbers
- Personally identifiable patient information
- Personally identifiable student information
- Personnel information
- Confidential legal data
- Proprietary data that should not be shared with the public
- Employer taxpayer identification numbers
- State identification card numbers or passport numbers
- Checking account numbers
- Savings account numbers
- Personal identification (PIN) codes
- Digital signatures
- Any other numbers or information that can be used to access a person’s financial resources
- Biometric data
Qualtrics provides services and uses software and technology that may be subject to U.S. export controls administered by the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control, and other U.S. agencies and the export control regulations of Switzerland and the European Union. Subscriber acknowledges and agrees that the Software and the Services shall not be used, and none of the underlying information, software, or technology may be transferred or otherwise exported or re-exported to countries which the United States, Switzerland, and/or the European Union maintains an embargo (collectively, “Embargoed Countries”), or to or by a national or resident thereof, or any person or entity on the U.S. Department of Treasury’s List of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Table of Denial Orders (collectively, “Designated Nationals”). The lists of Embargoed Countries and Designated Nationals are subject to change without notice. By using the Service, Subscriber represents and warrants that Subscriber is not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of an Embargoed Country or Designated National. Subscriber agrees to comply with all U.S., Swiss, and European Union export laws and assume sole responsibility for obtaining licenses to export or re-export as may be required.
Also see training resources from Qualtrics including webinars, tutorials, FAQs and a blog