Eduroam Wireless Network
ECU’s primary wireless network, Eduroam ( education roaming), is a secure world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community. Many institutions are now members, including several UNC institutions.
Onboard (enroll) a device once, and you have wireless access for four years on ECU’s campus as well as wherever eduroam is available. For example, if an NCSU professor visits the ECU campus, s/he can join the ECU eduroam network using NCSU credentials.
- Faculty, staff and students should onboard each personal mobile device and/or ECU-owned Mac laptop.
- ECU-owned Windows devices that log into the INTRA domain are already enrolled.
- ECU-managed multiple user devices should follow the ECU MDM instructions. When prompted, please select the group “ECU Owned Multiple Users”.
- Visitors with eduroam access from another institution can connect to eduroam using their institution’s credentials.
- Visitors with no eduroam access or PirateID require a sponsored guest account.
What is onboarding?
Each mobile device must “onboard” (enroll) with eduroam before connecting. You will run the JoinNow wizard to check minimum requirements and install the certificate. This certificate must be renewed every four years.
Onboard off campus
Run the JoinNow wizard to install the certificate before coming to campus. An activated PirateID is required.
- Navigate to onboard.ecu.edu.
- Click the Begin Onboarding Process icon. The ECU Network Configuration Utility opens.
- Click the Join Now button.
- Follow the steps to check your device and install the certificate.
- An email confirming your enrollment is sent to your ECU email.
- When you get to campus, join the eduroam network.
Onboard on campus
- From the wireless settings for your device, select the eduroam network.
- Sign in using your PirateID and passphrase. You will now complete the onboarding process.
- Open a web browser and navigate to www.ecu.edu. The Network Configuration Utility page opens.
- Check that the wizard is recognizing the correct browser and operating system.
- Click the JoinNow button.
- Run the JoinNow wizard to install the eduroam certificate on your device.
- Authenticate with your PirateID and passphrase.
- Once the process has completed turn your wireless network off and back on.
You receive an auto-generated email to confirm your enrollment and can now join the ECU eduroam network. Follow this process for each wireless device you wish to connect to the eduroam network.
Eduroam is compatible with these operating systems: Android, Chrome OS, iPhone/iPad, Kindle Fire, Linux, Mac OS X El Capitan, Mac OS X Mavericks, Mac OS X Mountain Lion, Mac OS X Yosemite, Windows 10, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows RT.