Department Computer Purchase
Departments purchasing desktop and laptop computers using state funds, including grant monies, are required to order through the Combined Pricing Initiative (CPI) bulk IT purchasing program. On the CPI page you’ll find specific computer models, configurations and pricing details.
Have questions? Contact the IT Help Desk at 252.328.9866/1.800.340.7081.
Dell Computers. To view ECU standard computer specifications and obtain price quotes for Dell computers (a CPI-approved preferred vendor), visit the Dell Premier Portal (PORT punch-out). Quotes created at this site are available in PORT for purchase. Configurations can be customized.
Apple Computers. Purchase Apple computers and accessories from the Apple Punch-out catalog in PORT. The ECU Dowdy Student Store is now able to sell Apple iPads and iPad accessories directly to ECU departments. Benefits of purchasing from Dowdy include:
- Convenience of on-campus, face-to-face customer service and assistance
- Hands-on viewing and demo before purchase
- Easy payment by Procard or interdepartmental transfer (IDT)
- Immediate delivery of in-stock models or quick delivery of special orders*
- Adapters, cases and other accessories also available
- For current pricing, see the specifications and pricing list. Verizon or AT&T 3G (iPad2) and 4G models require special order and take approximately 3-5 business days for delivery. Data plans are not arranged through Dowdy Student Stores.
UNC-GA AppleBulk Buy Program. Conducted quarterly, this program allows campuses to buy Apple products at discounts of 6% to 11% beyond normal educational pricing. All products on the Apple Store for Education are eligible under the bulk buy. This includes software, accessories, third-party items, laptops, iPads and computers (no iPhones).
Portable External Storage Devices
It is recommended that departments purchase 256 bit AES encrypted flash drives, self-encrypting external Solid State Drives (SSD) and hard drives for external storage needs. When self-encrypting drives are not feasible due to compatibility or are cost prohibitive, use of a software encryption solution such as WinZip Pro, Windows Bitlocker or Mac OS X Filevault with a standard external storage solution is acceptable. A list of manufacturers of hardware-encrypted flash drives, external SSDs, and external hard drives is listed below.
- Flash drives that are customized, pre-printed and/or preloaded with ECU data will not be approved for purchase
- Flash drives purchased as blank should not be provided as promotions with ECU data included
- Flash drives from state contract vendors (Staples, Tiger Direct, CDWG, etc.) and distributed without content will be approved for purchase
Encrypted Flash Drives
Encrypted External Solid State Drives
- Samsung Portable SSD
- Western Digital (WD) My Passport SSD
- DataLocker 3
Encrypted External Hard Drives
- Datalocker (Ironkey)
- Western Digital
Servers, Medical Equipment, Special Software
Before purchasing other IT equipment or software, departments should submit an IT Help Desk service request for a server assessment or desktop support consult to answer questions related to network connectivity, data storage and other needs of the project and to ensure that ECU’s security regulations are followed. Please note that any purchase over $5000 requires approval.
Need assistance planning an IT project? Submit the IT Project Request form.
While students are not required by ECU to buy any particular brand or model, those considering a computer purchase should first check with the PirateTechs Student Computer Support Center for any specifications and guidelines required by their academic program.
Partnerships between the ECU Dowdy Student Stores and several computer vendors provide affordable computers to ECU students and also meet any academic department requirements.
Staff and Faculty
Faculty and staff can also purchase computers and software for home use from the Dowdy Student Stores and should stop by to discuss the latest pricing with a computer department representative. Some restrictions for software apply.
Visit the software guide website for a listing of ECU- supported software. Find which programs are free downloads for ECU users, vendors for other supported software, the latest versions and available training opportunities.
For special software purchases, an IT Accessibility Review request ensures your software purchase is accessible based on Section 508 guidelines and W3C content accessibility guidelines.