For new faculty, staff and students, contract employees, retirees
Before using your PirateID, you must first activate your account and create a passphrase. If you are both student and staff, each account username is activated separately. Call the IT Help Desk at 252.328.9866 | 1.800.340.7081 for assistance.
- Navigate to http://pirateid.ecu.edu and type your Pirate ID.
- Type the CAPTCHA challenge text and click Next.
NOTE: The CAPTCHA is not case-sensitive. Buttons to the right read the text aloud or generate a new challenge.
- Type your ECU ID (B00000000) and click Next.
- Choose and answer four user-unique questions for identification. Click Next.
NOTE: Call the IT Help Desk if you receive this message: “The application does not have sufficient information available for you to activate your account.”
- Enter an alternate notification email address — messages are sent to both the ECU email AND this address when passphrase maintenance is accessed using your PirateID. Click Continue.
- Enter a cell phone number to receive an activation code if you are ever locked out of your account. The format is 2521231234 (no hyphens or spaces). Click Continue.
- Choose three authentication questions for passphrase maintenance (two system questions and one of your choice). Click Next. The screen should read, Registration Successful.
NOTE: If you are unsuccessful in setting authentication questions, try again or call the IT Help Desk (service hours only).
- Click Next. The Passphrase Maintenance Main Menu opens.
- Click Set Passphrase. The Set Passphrase dialog box opens.
NOTE: Other options on the maintenance menu include, Unlock PirateID, Change Registration, Change Notification Email, Set Texting Number, Test Passphrase and Exit System.
- Type a passphrase that conforms to ECU’s criteria standards (Click the Passphrase Help link on this screen for criteria standards).
- Type the passphrase again to confirm.
- Click Set Passphrase.
- The next screen will confirm the passphrase has been set or instruct you to reset using criteria standards.
- When the passphrase has been successfully set, click Main Menu.
- From this menu, click the Exit System.