Faculty and Staff Email Evolves
Beginning this past April, ECU began modernizing staff email with user-friendly archive, encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) tools plus improved spam and malware protection to accommodate security policies and prepare for the upcoming move to Office 365.
There are four steps to this refresh:
- Enable the new cloud-based Online Archive folder | COMPLETED!
- Switch to Office 365 Exchange Online Protection | COMPLETED!
- Move Enterprise Vault items back to your mailbox
- Migrate staff mailboxes to Office 365
COMPLETED – Online Archive Folder
Your Online Archive was enabled on March 29 in preparation for the retirement of the Enterprise Vault service. The online archive is 100GB of storage that resides in the folder pane of Piratemail and Outlook and is available whether on or off campus. You control the items stored here, and it’s a great way to keep your inbox organized while keeping anywhere-access to messages. The Online Archive folder is not available to retired employees or non-employees with email accounts.
Visit the Online Archive page to learn more.
COMPLETED – Microsoft Exchange Online Protection
Users were switched to the cloud-based Microsoft EOP service in May. There are three distinct parts to Microsoft’s EOP:
- A malware and spam filter
- Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) that checks email attachments for malware
- An email encryption tool
- A data loss prevention service
Incoming email and attachments are checked and quarantined or deleted if malware is detected. The message then passes through the university’s security policy checks, including the spam filter. After passing all check points, the email is sent to your inbox. Outbound messages are checked through the DLP policies for encryption (if needed).
Users should now be receiving a spam notification email.
What Happens When My Enterprise Vault Items are Migrated Back to My Email?
Office 365 offers archiving space as part of our license, therefore the Enterprise Vault tool will be retired. You don’t need to prepare in any way for this migration. Here is what will happen:
- The most recent three (3) years of vaulted email will return to your mailbox. Your available space will be expanded, if required, to accommodate current and migrated items.
- Items older than three (3) years will move to your Online Archive folder. The Online Archive folder is 100GB of space.
- The Online Archive, as well as your mailbox, follow ECU’s email expiration process.
You’ll notice that access to archived items is faster and easier through Outlook or Piratemail and management is drag and drop. Since there’s no more automatic email archiving in place, you decide what to keep in your inbox and what to store elsewhere.
All retired and non-employee vaulted messages will migrate back into the Inbox as the Online Archive is not available for these users.
Staff Email Migrates to Office 365
Staff email will move to the Office 365 cloud sometime during FY2018-2019. This will include all the advantages of staff and students on the same system, improved spam management tools and (eventually) modern security measures such as multi-factor authentication (MFA) for off-campus email login.